The term ELT or ‘us’, ‘we’ or ‘our’ refers to English Language Testing Ltd, the owner of this website and others, whose registered office is Great West House, Great West Road, Brentford TW8 9DF, UK. Our company registration number is 6287003, registered and incorporated in England and Wales.
The term ‘you’ refers to the user or viewer of our websites.
The following is a broad description of the way ELT collects and process personal information. To understand how your own personal information is processed you may need to refer to any personal communications you have received, check any privacy notices that ELT has provided or contact ELT to ask about your personal circumstances. ELT processes personal information where we have a legitimate interest in it to enable us to provide assessment services, to report assessment results to those with a legitimate interest in them, to conduct assessment analysis and research, and to maintain our accounts and records.
ELT may change this policy from time to time by updating this page. You should check this page from time to time to ensure that you are agree with any changes.
Information we collect and process
We process information relevant to the above purposes. This may include the following personal information (usually the first four listed for those taking an assessment):
- Date of birth.
- Proof of identity document type and details such as passport and number.
- Native language.
- Photographs and other biometric characteristics.
- Postal and email addresses and other contact details.
- Nationality and/ or citizenship.
- Country of residency.
- Occupation and job title.
- Employment and education details and history.
- Information required for visa and other applications.
- Demographic information such as postcode, preferences and interests and other information relevant to customer surveys and/or offers.
We may also process sensitive personal information:
- Medical information supplied those applying to take an assessment in order to obtain special assessment conditions.
In the case of persons who have completed an assessment provided by, or through, ELT, assessment results achieved by the persons will also be held.
ELT process personal information collected to allow us to:
- Administer assessments and score to give assessment results.
- Review applications, assessments and results for fraud detection purposes.
- Share the relevant information and personal data from applications, assessments, results and fraud reviews with those with a legitimate interest including the purchaser of the assessment, the person and representatives of the person whose personal data we are processing, our contractors, law enforcement agencies, when required to by law, and with those that that use or recognise ELT’s assessment results including educational institutions, commercial and other organisations, ELT’s test centres, government (including visa processing authorities) and professional bodies.
- Please be aware that this sharing may involve a transfer (usually by the purchaser of the assessment accessing test results) of your personal information (including sensitive personal information) outside the European Economic Area and persons taking an assessment give their consent to this information sharing and (possible) transfer. ELT and their contractors process personal information within the European Economic Area.
- Use applications, assessments, results and fraud reviews for research, statistical and training purposes and for the development of our assessments, services and systems.
- Manage ELT’s internal business operations.
- Inform and give information on the services ELT provides, on events and on opportunities to work with ELT and to conduct market research.
- Improve our products and services and to customise our websites according to interests.
ELT consider unanonymised information and personal data from applications, assessments and results confidential and in only in exceptional circumstances (such as when fraud is suspected) will make this available to any party except the purchaser of the assessment or as directed by them and our contractors if necessary.
ELT and their contractors will retain personal data for as long as ELT and/or others parties (such as the purchaser of assessments) have a reasonable legitimate interest in that data.
We are committed to ensuring that your personal information is secure and protected by design and default. In order to prevent unauthorised access, alteration, deletion or disclosure, we have put in place suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect online. We will not sell or lease your personal information to third parties.
Purchasers of assessments should be aware that personal information may be shared with other with a legitimate interest as described above.
ELT initially process personal information within the European Economic Area although as described above at times a copy may be transferred outside of the Area.
When processing or sharing personal information ELT comply with the UK’s Data Protection Act 1998 and the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) as applicable.
Links to other websites
Our websites may contain links to other websites of interest. However, once you have used these links to leave our sites, you should note that we do not have any control over that other website. Therefore, we cannot be responsible for the protection and privacy of any information which you provide whilst visiting such sites and such sites are not governed by this privacy statement. You should exercise caution and look at the privacy statement applicable to the website in question.
If you wish to contact us please write to us at English Language Testing Ltd, Great West House, Great West Road, Brentford TW8 9DF UK.
You may request details of personal information which we hold about you. If you would like a copy of your personal information held by ELT please write to us at the above address. You will need to prove your identity and a charge may be made.
If you believe that any information we hold on you is incorrect or incomplete, please write to us as soon as possible at the above address, giving details of what you believe needs correcting. You will need to prove your identity. We will correct any information found to be incorrect.